A ALEXANDER'S FUTURE FOUNDATION
Alexander's Future Foundation is a (501)(c)(3)organization.
No goods or services are exchanged for donation.
IN MEMORY OF FOUNDING BOARD OF TRUSTEE MEMBER MIKE BROWN
Ernest (Mike) Brown passed away Sunday June 17, 2018. He was born in Athens May 5,1949 to Katherine (Dowler) and Bill Brown. Mike is survived by his wife Jo, children Michael (Maria Andrade) and Lindsey, three grandchildren, sisters Nance (Steve) Curtis and Kathy (Steve) Wolfe, and numerous nieces and nephews. He is predeceased by his parents and a brother Bill.
A Marine veteran of the Vietnam War, Mike worked at Ohio University for 37 years. Over the years, he volunteered for the Waterloo Community Center, Waterloo Fire Department, numerous school and sport groups, Athens County Sheriff's Office, Athens County Amateur Radio Association, and VFW.
Per his request, there will be no services. In lieu of flowers, please consider donating to the Waterloo Community Senior Center, 4005 Old SR 56, New Marshfield, OH 45766, Alexander's Future Foundation P.O. Box 204, Albany, OH 45710, or a charity of your choice.
CONGRATULATIONS TO 2018 RECIPIENTS
- Albany VFW Post 9893 Honorary Scholarship—EMILY BAILS
- Alexander Faculty and Staff Scholarship—KATHERINE HOWARD
- Ball-Shuman Memorial Scholarship--ABIGAIL HOWARD
- Don and Lucille Battrell Memorial Scholarship—HANNAH SIX
- Lawrence Bean Memorial Scholarship—JENNA JORDAN
- Bryan Bell Memorial Scholarship—ETHAN MANSFIELD
- Tara Bolen Memorial Scholarship--SHYANNA CHURCHHEUS
- Chris Bolin Memorial Scholarship—ABIGAIL HOWARD
- Bray Family Memorial Scholarship—TESS WOODYARD
- Brooks Family Honorary Scholarship—SAMANTHA GOINS
- Everett and Bernice Conkey and Mary Nardo Memorial Scholarship—SHARON ROBINSON
- Cornwell Family Honorary Scholarship--HOPE SMALLWOOD
- Mexie and Max Crabtree Memorial Scholarship—LYNDSEY SIGMAN
- Rebecca Darst Memorial Scholarship—SHARON ROBINSON
- Randy Dillinger Honorary Scholarship—LAUREN SCURLOCK
- Loretta Doudna Memorial Scholarship--MONTANA MOODY
- Allie Douglas Memorial Scholarship--SOPHIA SCARMACK
- David Enlow Memorial Scholarship—KAITLYN COLEY
- Dr. David Evans Memorial Scholarship—TESS WOODWARD
- Fanning and Howey Honorary Scholarship--JORDAN LUMBATIS
- Ryan Ferguson Memorial Scholarship—LUKE KISH
- FFA Alumni Scholarship in Memory of John Sewell, Adam Fitzgerald, and Nathan Coe—DYLAN BOIVIN
- Jeff and Steven Gillogly Memorial Scholarship--MARINA MULLINS
- Noah Gillogly Memorial Scholarship—MICHAEL NORRIS
- Chris Grant Memorial Scholarship--BRITTANY ARLEDGE
- Hamill Family Memorial Scholarship--DEREK BUCKLEY
- Lawrence Haskell Memorial Scholarship--MAYA SHERMAN
- Thomas R. Hutchinson Family Memorial Scholarship—DEREK BUCKLEY
- Adam Jolley Memorial Scholarship—MIRANDA HOWARD
- Megan Keffer Memorial Scholarship—ADISON MCCLAIN
- Jerry Keiter Memorial Scholarship—ISSAC DOWNS
- Brandon, Sharon, Greg Lowry and Vela Kay Hunter Memorial Scholarship—ELIZABETH HANING
- Eric Mansfield Memorial Scholarship—ETHAN MANSFIELD
- James McCamish Memorial Scholarship—CHRIS SMITH
- Rebecca Meeks Memorial Scholarship--MADISON HENSLEY
- Ed Pennington Memorial Scholarship--LYNDSEY SIGMAN
- Kelly Rine Honorary Scholarship--ADISON MCCLAIN
- David Rolston Memorial and Rick Rolston Honorary Scholarship--KATHERINE NELSON
- Lewis and Helen Sauer Memorial Scholarship—SOPHIA SCARMACK
- Kevin Shaner Memorial Scholarship—JENNA JORDAN
- Joe Theiss Memorial Scholarship—SYDNEY ANDREWS
- David Turrill Memorial Scholarship--HANNAH KING
- Bill Whaley Memorial Scholarship—TANNER ESSELBURN
- Todd Wingett Memorial Scholarship—MACKENZIE HAWK
- Robert Withrow Memorial Scholarship--CARTER CARR
- Wood Family Memorial Scholarship—MADISON HENSLEY
- Dr. Kenneth Woods Memorial Scholarship-- JORDAN LUMBATIS
Please click on the link below to read AFF's Booklet originally produced by Connie Knowlton Sharp, with additions by Susie Andrews and Lois Harkins. The book will be updated during the 2018-19 school year to include a biography for Todd Wingett.
/userfiles/1842/my files/aff book 2018 updated 05-14-2018.pdf?id=4352
Alexander's Future Foundation humbly announces the formation of the Cornwell Family Honorary Scholarship, the Chris Grant Memorial Scholarship, the David Turrill Memorial Scholarship, and the Todd Wingett Memorial Scholarship The Cornwell and Grant Scholarships will be awarded annually, while the Turrill and Wingett Scholarships will be awarded in even years. Many thanks to friends and family for supporting the formation of these scholarships.
Full biographies and scholarship criteria are avaliable by clicking on the booklet above and then scrolling to the listed page number.
- Jennett Ackerman--page 4
- Albany VFW Honorary Scholarship--page 32
- Alexander Faculty and Staff--page 3
- Alexander FFA Alumni Association--page 31
- Benjamin Ball, Glenna Ball, Lucille Shuman and Sally Ball--page 5
- Gary Bartlett--page 4
- Lucille and Don Battrell--page 6
- Lawrence Bean--page 28
- Bryan Bell--page 7
- Everett Boggess--page 7
- Tara Marcell Bolen--page 10
- Chris Bolin--page 14
- Bray Family--page 11
- William Ray and Margaret Thompson Brooks--page 10
- Brooks Family--page 21
- Everett and Bernice Conkey and Mary Nardo--page 22
- Cornwell Family--page 36
- Mexie and Max Crabtree--page 11
- Ward and Darlene Cunningham--page 12
- Rebecca Mae Darst--page 13
- Don and Scott Dillinger--page 15
- Randy Dillinger--page 14
- Loretta A. Doudna--page 13
- Allie Douglas--page 16
- David Enlow--page 15
- Dr. David Glen Evans--page 16
- Chris Grant--page 34
- Fanning and Howey--page 9
- Ryan Ferguson--page 17
- Jeffrey Allen and Steven Gillogly--page 17
- Noah Gillogly--page 19
- Hamill Family--page 22
- Lawrence Haskell, Junior--page 8
- Tom Hutchison--page 9
- Adam Wayne Jolley--page 18
- Tammy Marks Jordan--page 34
- Megan Keffer--page 3
- Jerry Keiter--page 33
- Ada Kennedy and Clifton E. Swaim--page 20
- Anne Laufman--pge 32
- Vela Kay Hunter and Brandon, Sharon, and Greg Lowry--page 20
- James A. McCamish--page 23
- Greg McDaniel--page 23
- Eric Mansfield--page 30
- Rebecca Meeks--page 24
- James E. Pennington--page 28
- Thelma J. Raines--page 12
- Kelly Rine--page 24
- David and Rick Rolston--page 25
- Lewis and Helen Sauer--page 25
- Kevin Shaner--page 26
- David Turrill--page 35
- Joe and Mabel Theiss--pge 26
- Ed Waldron--page 21
- Barry L. West--page 27
- Bill J. Whaley--page 30
- Josephine Williamson--page 27
- Charles G. Wingett--page 29
- Todd Wingett--to be added on page 37
- Robert Eugene Withrow--page 29
- Wood Family--page 8
- Ken Woods--page 31
- THE GROUP PHOTO HAS ARRIVED! Please enjoy an upcoming press release listing the recipients, colleges, and awarded scholarships. Special thanks to Susie Andrews and Lisa Matheny for sharing thieir talents and ideas. Prior permission was obtained from recipients for distribution.
/userfiles/1842/my files/2018 aff group photo.jpg?id=4356
/userfiles/1842/my files/messenger 2018.pdf?id=4351
AFF RECIPIENT HISTORY
Please click on the link below to access the complete listing of scholarship recipients through 2018.
/userfiles/1842/my files/copy of all-aff-recipients-through-2018.pdf?id=4349
THANK YOU TO OUR MANY DONORS
THANK YOU to our July 2018 contibutors: Bill and Lois Harkins, Debra Talbott, and Sue Wilkes.
There were no contributions for June 2018.
THANK YOU to our May 2018 contributors: Robert and Elizabeth Graves, Bill and Lois Harkins, Megan McGilligott Meyer, Network for Good for Todd Wingett, Ellen Shipley, Sandy Waldron, Ron White Builders LLC, and Stephanie Ziembier.
THANK YOU to our April 2018 contributors: Brien and Judy Burke, Bill and Lois Harkins, and Sierra Meek.
THANK YOU to our March 2018 contributors: Marla Azbell, Sally Ball, Ann Brabbs, Ronda Brown, Daniel and Kimberly Cannell, Russell Crabtree, C.R. Athens Properties LTD, Andrew and Diane Dunn, Gaiser Enterprises LLC, Bill and Lois Harkins, Kenneth and Crystal Jones, Jim and Jorae Smith, Matheny's One Call Does It All, Sandra Malone, Alfred and Heidi Mann, David Miller, Orion Ventures LLC, Tom and Kathy Reed, Ribbit Inc., Marla Sams, Dawn Worley-Sims and Gary Sims, and Rosalie Wingett.
THANK YOU to our February 2018 contributors: Albany V.F. W., Robert and Maureen Barbbs, Larry and Ruthann Birchfield, Rick and Cassie Bowen, Brad and Cheryl Brooks, Wendy Coen, Darleen Cunningham, David George, Jo A. Grimm, Bill and Lois Harkins, Karla Hawk, Martha Johnson, Larry and Linda Lucas, Charles and Phyllis Mansfield, Richard Manzey, Joe and Donna Marks, Dave and Teresa South, Gary and Kathy Spencer, Teri Wagner, and Michael and Laura Young.
THANK YOU to our January 2018 contributors: David Hensley, Marks Family Farm, Bill and Lois Harkins, and Sandra Waldron
THANK YOU to our December 2107 contributors: Edward and Susan Castle
THANK YOU to our November 2017 contributors: David Ashworth and Sam and Sheila Theiss.
THANK YOU to our October 2017 contributors: Julia Fitzgerald and Steve and Janel Sewell.
THANK YOU to our September 2017 contributors: Ron Addis, Susie Andrews, Scott Auflick, Missy Baker, Jamie Blick, Nick Booth, Sam Booth, Amrik Brar, Randi Brooks, Becky Busch, Andrea Carr, Amy Carroll, Mark Chapman, Hannah Charbel, Andrea Chimo,Kirk Crow, Kevin Deal, Beth DiBenedetto, Laurel Doubrava, Frank Doudna, Tom Fauber, Amy Gould, Karrie Hanning, Bill and Lois Harkins, Kasey Harris, Katie Holdcroft, Ty Holdcroft, Karmi Holzaepfel, Beth Horton, Jenny Hughes, Charla Johnson, Just Give Organization, Jim Kearns, Kim Lovsey, Natalie Lucas, Amy Mansfield, Shelly Mansfield, Rich Maskiel, Lisa Matheny, Kelly McCarty, Kathleen McDougle, Megan McElligott, Dave McLaughlin, Andrew Monk, Malinda Mowry, Kerry Payton, Carla Pratt-Harrington, Taylor Rhyan, Julie Rice, Mark Rice, Wanda Richards, Matt Rosler, Abby Rouse, Erin Roush, Marilyn Scurlock, Chad Sheets, Connie Sheets, Darla Sheets, Stephanie Stamper, Angie Taggart, Rachel Terry, Francis Tullius, Lindsay Van Winkle, and Mary Ann Welsh.
THANK YOU to our August 2017 contributors: Martha Bratton, Julia Fitzgerald, Pam and Steve Knapp, Karen Pameth, Steve Sewell, and Thomas and Annabelle Weekly.
THANK YOU to our July 2017 contributors: Barbara Boggess, Bonnie Brothers, Hilda Gagnon, Elizabeth Gleason, Robert Green, Terry and Cindy Hawk, Melissa Burke Jarvis, John and Marianne Lesho, and Chad and Jessica Wingett.
2017-2018 PAYROLL DEDUCTIONS
Sixty-two Alexander employees donated $7427.00 through payroll deductions for the 2017-2018 school year. Your continued partnership is valued. Thank you!
The following accounts received donations SEPTEMBER 2017 THROUGH JULY 2018:
Alexander Band Boosters Alumni Association
Alexander FFA Alumni
Tammy Marks Jordan
IN APPRECIATION AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF
AFF'S CHARTER MEMBER
IN MEMORY OF WANDA BURKE
Wanda Celeste (Medcalf) Burke died February 4th at the age of 75. She leaves her loving husband of over 51 years, Dolphus (Doc), behind to farm for a few more years.
Wanda graduated from Green Hills High School and Ohio University where she played basketball, field hockey, and softball. She retired from Alexander Local School District where she made "gym" a favorite class for many of the thousands of students she taught. Wanda's kind heart and beautiful spirit continues in the many lives of students she inspired throughout her career.
In addition to her husband, she leaves behind daughter Audra (Keith) Kelly, son Dan (Angie) Burke, three grandsons: Cole, Grant, and Jay Owen Burke, her sister Maureen (Bob) Brabbs, several sisters-and brothers-in law, and many nieces and nephews.
Services will be Friday at 11:00 A.M. at Christ Community Wesleyan Church with Pastors Denver Dodrill and Ray Richardson officiating and burial at School Lot Cemetery. The family welcomes visitation at Christ Community Wesleyan Church on Thrusday from 6 to 8 P.M.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Alexander's Future Foundation, Post Office Box 204, Albany, Ohio 45710 or Ohio Health Home Care, 444 West Untion Street, Suite C, Athens, Ohio 45701.
A message from Wanda: "Dear Heavenly Faither, I cannot be with my dear family and friends right now, but you can. I ask that you comfort their hurting hearts. Help them to see the blessing in this release of an earthly body. Remind them all that this is only a temporary separation."
SCHOLARSHIPS BY YEAR
- 1993--1 scholarship $500
- 1994--2 scholarships $1000
- 1995--3 scholarships $1500
- 1996--6 scholarships $3000
- 1997--8 scholarships $4000
- 1998--9 scholarships $4500
- 1999--14 scholarships $7000
- 2000--15 scholarships $7500
- 2001--14 scholarships $7000
- 2002--16 scholarships $9000
- 2003--16 scholarships $9000
- 2004--14 scholarships $9000
- 2005--21 scholarships $12,500
- 2006--19 scholarships $12,000
- 2007--26 scholarships $17,250
- 2008--27 scholarships $17,750
- 2009--29 scholarships $21,250
- 2010--32 scholarships $20,250
- 2011--39 scholarships $23,500
- 2012--35 scholarships $21,500
- 2013--37 scholarships $24,666
- 2014--42 scholarships $26,723.00
- 2015--45 scholarships $28,500.00
- 2016--42 scholarships $29,000.00
- 2017--47 scholarships $30,500.00
- 2018--47 scholarships $32,500.00
Total: 606 scholarships $392,139.00
HOW TO DONATE
Contributions may be sent to Alexander's Future Foundation, Post Office Box 204, Albany, Ohio 45710. If donating in memory or in honor of an individual or group, please list the name on the memo line of the check. An acknowledgement letter will be sent to you upon receipt. Further, a letter to the family will be mailed announcing your gift; however, the amount will be omitted. Cash donations can be accepted in person at school. However, please do not leave until a prompt receipt is given.
A BRIEF HISTORY
Alexander’s Future Foundation was established in 1992 by interested community members and school personnel to provide financial support for graduates pursuing post-secondary training. The scholarships are sent directly to the institution for tuition or fees.
Thanks to the generous contributions from community members and Alexander staff, Alexander’s Future Foundation’s principal balance continues to grow, allowing the foundation to use the interest to steadily increase the number of awarded scholarships.
Scholarships based on financial need, academic achievement, intended majors, and/or service to the community will be awarded to Alexander High School students in May of each year. These begin at $500.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES AND OFFICERS
Wecome to new Board Member MEGAN SIX
Susie Andrews, Corresponding Secretary for Alexander Employees
Jay Barnes, Vice-President
Brien Burke, President
Steve Dillinger, Treasurer
Lois Harkins, Web Page Designer
Christy Carsey Lee, Corresponding Secretary for Community
Sue Wilkes, Recording Secretary
Alexander's Future Foundation meets the 2nd Monday of October, January, February, March, April, May, and June in the Media Center (Library) at the Alexander Local School District complex beginning at 6:00 P.M.
- Kim McHarg Frazier, 1980 Alexander graduate, logo concept
- Megan Bowen Six, 2001 AFF Scholarship Recipient, stationery design
- Joyce Bobo and Connie Knowlton, Alexander graduates,--AFF biography brochure
- Connie Knowlton, Alexander graduate,--AFF original booklet design
- Lisa Matheny, Alexander graduate,--AFF booklet formatting
- Susie Andrews and Lois Harkins, Alexander employeess,--AFF booklet formatting
- Jeremy Sheets and Lois Harkins, Alexander employees,--Web page design
DID YOU KNOW?
Jim McHarg wrote the bylaws for Alexander's Future Foundation?
Mabel Burton obtained tax-exempt status for us?
Dave Garrod served as the first president of AFF?
Peggy and Dave Garrod made the first donation to AFF--a $40 check in memory of Art Cross?
The Alexander Lions Club donated $500 seed money?
Rick and Penney Rolston pledged a $1000 donation to get us started?
Sam and Sheila Theiss donated $10,000 to begin the very first scholarship account--the Joe Theiss Memorial Scholarship?
AFF is an all-volunteer organization?
Our stationery is donated by a community member?
AFF's fees consists of postage, post office box, and filing fees?
Our scholarships are based on interest of invested funds?
Connie Knowlton and Jim McHarg helped organize a Pumpkin Patch for two years for publicity and any funds we might have received?
Jean McCamish organized two Chinese auctions for publicity and funds?
Edna Stalder has served as our treasurer for 20 years?
Wendy Johnson received the first AFF scholarship?
Once a total of $5000 has been earned in an account, a scholarship will be awarded every other year?
Once a total of $10,000 has been earned in an account, a scholarship will be awarded every year?
Families may write the criteria for their scholarship?
Interested in Creating a Scholarship? Here's How!
It is rather simple to begin a scholarship. The first step is to donate funds in honor or memory of someone. This starts a record-keeping process that has several checks and balances by the Board of Trustees. Simply put, the money goes into the general fund; however, very careful records denote the exact total in the account. Once the fund reaches $5000 by a June 1st deadline, then a scholarship is awarded the following May to an applicant that meets the criteria the family has established. A $5000 total awards a scholarship every other year; whereas, a $10,000 total awards a scholarship every year.
Families write the scholarship criteria which can be altered in the future. We simply ask that advanced notice be given so we can change the bios on the web page and in the booklet. The Board of Trustees selects the students from the applicant pool, but consideration is given to an applicant who meets all the application terms.
An important feature is that the scholarship amounts are derived from INTEREST only and the principal is not touched. Scholarship amounts vary according to the amount of money in the specific accounts. As an example, our first scholarship for Joe Theiss has more funds than one that was started later. Therefore, Joe's scholarship amount might be $750; whereas, the later one might be $500. As interest has not been too good in recent years, we have still been able to begin scholarship amounts at $500. We always caution folks that the amount might be a tad lower if interest continues to remain low. Alexander’s Future Foundation is a tax-exempt organization so donations may be listed as contributions on income taxes.
Donations may be mailed to Alexander’s Future Foundation, Post Office Box 204, Albany, Ohio 45710. Questions may be directed to any member of the Board of Trustees.
INVITATION TO PARENTS AND STUDENTS
Please consider applying for an Alexander's Future Foundation Scholarship. Click on the link below to learn more about this helpful community-based organization. People whom you will never meet have donated considerable funds to help you have a brighter future. Why? Because they believe in you and in Alexander Local Schools.
After reading the letter and reviewing the application, please read the biographies and check out the photos of the endowned scholarships. Further, search the website for past recipients dating back to 1992. You'll also see the photos of the 2017 recipients. We're eager to add more names and photos in 2018, but we need you to do your part.
Complete the application, seek an adult for a letter of recommendation, compose an essay, successfully deal with all the senior paperwork, and apply to the college of your choice. Mrs. Andrews in the office is eager to receive your application on or before FEBRUARY 28, 2018.
Best wishes as you complete this exciting and motivating senior year.
/userfiles/1842/my files/letter to parents.pdf?id=3028
2017-2018 AFF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
The 2017-2018 application is ready! This year students will find ONE APPLICATION FORM for both Alexander's Future Foundation AND Alexander Lions Club. Students may select one or both at the top of the application form. All parts of the application are due to Alexander secretary Susie Andrews ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 28TH by 2:45 P.M. It is anticipated that 47 scholarships will be awarded ranging from $500 to $2500 for a total of $32,500.00.
Printed applications are also available in the Career Center or the senior English classroom. Please click on the below link to access the interactive application.
/userfiles/1842/my files/aff application 2017-2018.pdf?id=3030
This page was last updated August 7, 2018.
CONTACT: Lois Harkins at email@example.com or 740-592-4184.