ALEXANDER'S FUTURE FOUNDATION
Alexander's Future Foundation is a (501)(c)(3)organization.
No goods or services are exchanged for donations.
IN APPRECIATION AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF
AFF'S CHARTER MEMBER
MANY THANKS TO EDNA STALDER
After twenty-five years of devoted service as treasurer to Alexander's Future Foundation,
Edna retired from the Board of Trustees. What began with a $40.00 has exceeded over $800,000.00
under her careful command.
MANY, MANY THANKS!
INVITATION TO PARENTS AND STUDENTS
Please consider applying for an Alexander's Future Foundation Scholarship. Click on the link below to learn more about this helpful community-based organization. People whom you will never meet have donated considerable funds to help you have a brighter future. Why? Because they believe in you and in Alexander Local Schools.
After reading the letter and reviewing the application, please read the biographies and check out the photos of the endowned scholarships. Further, search the website for past recipients dating back to 1992. You'll also see the photos of the 2017 recipients. We're eager to add more names and photos in 2018, but we need you to do your part.
Complete the application, seek an adult for a letter of recommendation, compose an essay, successfully deal with all the senior paperwork, and apply to the college of your choice. Mrs. Andrews in the office is eager to receive your application on or before FEBRUARY 28, 2018.
Best wishes as you complete this exciting and motivating senior year.
/userfiles/1842/my files/letter to parents.pdf?id=3028
2017-2018 AFF SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
The 2017-2018 application is ready! This year students will find ONE APPLICATION FORM for both Alexander's Future Foundation AND Alexander Lions Club. Students may select one or both at the top of the application form. All parts of the application are due to Alexander secretary Susie Andrews ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 28TH by 2:45 P.M. It is anticipated that 47 scholarships will be awarded ranging from $500 to $2500 for a total of $32,500.00.
Printed applications are also available in the Career Center or the senior English classroom. Please click on the below link to access the interactive application.
/userfiles/1842/my files/aff application 2017-2018.pdf?id=3030
CONGRATULATIONS TO 2017 RECIPIENTS
- Jennet Ackerman—Meyana Sayamongkhum
- Albany VFW Honorary Scholarship—Della Harmison
- Alexander Faculty and Staff Scholarship—Nathan Hanning, Olivia Baumgartel, and Brooke Hayes
- Gary Bartlet—Wyatt Radford
- Don and Lucille Battrell Memorial Scholarship—Rachael Dickerson
- Lawrence Bean Memorial Scholarship—Zachariah Howard
- Bryan Bell Memorial Scholarship—Wyatt Radford
- Everett Boggess Memorial Scholalrship—Julie Coen
- Chris Bolin Memorial Scholarship—Connor Wingett
- Bray Family Memorial Scholarship—Destiny Jewell
- Brooks Family Scholarship—Coltin Thompson
- Ray and Margret Brooks Memorial Scholarship—Taylor Boggs
- Everett and Bernice Conkey and Mary Nardo Memorial Scholarship—Nathan Goss
- Mexie and Max Crabtree Memorial Scholarship—James Wallace
- Ward Cunningham Memorial and Darleen Cunningham Honorary Scholarship—Jessica Saddler
- Don and Scott Dillinger Memorial Scholarship—Jala Mace
- Randy Dillinger Honorary Scholarship—Hunter Markins
- David Enlow Memorial Scholarship—Jacob Coley
- Dr. David Evans Memorial Scholarship—Sydney Davis
- Ryan Ferguson Memorial Scholarship—Will Rioch
- FFA Alumni Scholarship in Memory of John Sewell, Adam Fitzgerald, and Nathan Coe—Chace Harris
- Noah Gillogly Memorial Scholarship—Jordan Colburn
- Hamill Family Memorial Scholarship—Carl Scott
- Thomas R. Hutchinson Family Memorial Scholarship—Zach Bayha
- Adam Jolley Memorial Scholarship—Shyla Johnson
- Megan Keffer Memorial Scholarship—Casey McDonald
- Jerry Keiter Memorial Scholarship—Ally Fox
- Ada Kennedy and Clifton Swaim Memorial Scholarship—Emily Hobbs
- Anne Laufman Memorial Scholarship—Lauren Booth
- Brandon, Sharon, Greg Lowry and Vela Kay Hunter Memorial Scholarship—Jordan Meek
- Eric Mansfield Memorial Scholarship—Wyatt Radford
- Tammy Marks-Jordan Memorial Scholarship—Marissa Adkins
- James McCamish Memorial Scholarship—Brendan Niggemeyer
- Greg McDaniel Memorial Scholarship—Nick Hacker
- Ed Pennington Memorial Scholarship—Alexis Yocum
- Thelma Raines Honorary Scholarship—Connor Wingett
- Lewis and Helen Sauer Memorial Scholarship—Lexi Whitney
- Kevin Shaner Memorial Scholarship—Lacy Burke
- Joe Theiss Memorial Scholarship—Alexis Mohler
- Edward Waldron Memorial Scholarship—Jenna Terry
- Bill Whaley Memorial Scholarship—Jacob Carpenter
- Josephine Williamson Memorial Scholarship—Sammi Love
- Charles G. Wingett Memorial Scholarship—Connor Wingett
- Robert Withrow Memorial Scholarship—Elizabeth Wachenschwanz
- Wood Family Memorial Scholarship— Tyler Dunham
Please click on the link below to read AFF's Booklet originally produced by Connie Knowlton Sharp, with additions by Susie Andrews and Lois Harkins. The book will be updated during the 2017-18 school year to include biographies for The Cornwell Family, Chris Grant, Tammy Marks Jordan and David Turrill.
/userfiles/1842/my files/aff book updated 06-08-2016.pdf?id=3078
Alexander's Future Foundation humbly announces the formation of the Cornwell Family Scholarship, the Chris Grant Scholarship, and the David Turrill Scholarship. The Cornwell Scholarship will be awarded annually and the Turrill Scholarship will be awarded every other year. Currently funds continue for the Grant Scholarship, which at the present level will be awarded every other year. Many thanks to the Cornwell familly and the friends and family members of the Grant and Turrill families.
Full biographies and scholarship criteria are avaliable by clicking on the booklet above and then scrolling to the listed page number.
- Jennett Ackerman--page 4
- Albany VFW Honorary Scholarship--page 32
- Alexander Faculty and Staff--page 3
- Alexander FFA Alumni Association--page 31
- Benjamin Ball, Glenna Ball, Lucille Shuman and Sally Ball--page 5
- Gary Bartlett--page 4
- Lucille and Don Battrell--page 6
- Lawrence Bean--page 28
- Bryan Bell--page 7
- Everett Boggess--page 7
- Tara Marcell Bolen--page 10
- Chris Bolin--page 14
- Bray Family--page 11
- William Ray and Margaret Thompson Brooks--page 10
- Brooks Family--page 21
- Everett and Bernice Conkey and Mary Nardo--page 22
- Cornwell Family--to be added
- Mexie and Max Crabtree--page 11
- Ward and Darlene Cunningham--page 12
- Rebecca Mae Darst--page 13
- Don and Scott Dillinger--page 15
- Randy Dillinger--page 14
- Loretta A. Doudna--page 13
- Allie Douglas--page 16
- David Enlow--page 15
- Dr. David Glen Evans--page 16
- Chris Grant--to be added
- Fanning and Howey--page 9
- Ryan Ferguson--page 17
- Jeffrey Allen and Steven Gillogly--page 17
- Noah Gillogly--page 19
- Hamill Family--page 22
- Lawrence Haskell, Junior--page 8
- Tom Hutchison--page 9
- Adam Wayne Jolley--page 18
- Tammy Marks Jordan--to be added
- Megan Keffer--page 3
- Jerry Keiter--page 33
- Ada Kennedy and Clifton E. Swaim--page 20
- Anne Laufman--pge 32
- Vela Kay Hunter and Brandon, Sharon, and Greg Lowry--page 20
- James A. McCamish--page 23
- Greg McDaniel--page 23
- Eric Mansfield--page 30
- Rebecca Meeks--page 24
- James E. Pennington--page 28
- Thelma J. Raines--page 12
- Kelly Rine--page 24
- David and Rick Rolston--page 25
- Lewis and Helen Sauer--page 25
- Kevin Shaner--page 26
- David Turrill--to be added
- Joe and Mabel Theiss--pge 26
- Ed Waldron--page 21
- Barry L. West--page 27
- Bill J. Whaley--page 30
- Josephine Williamson--page 27
- Charles G. Wingett--page 29
- Robert Eugene Withrow--page 29
- Wood Family--page 8
- Ken Woods--page 31
Please click here to view photos of 2017 Alexander's Future Foundation recipients, their scholarship, and college of choice. Permission to include photos was included on the application form. A special thank you to Lisa Matheny and Mark Rice for their assistance building this page.
/userfiles/1842/my files/2017 photo recipients.pdf?id=2931
AFF RECIPIENT HISTORY
Please click on the link below to access the complete listing of scholarship recipients through 2017.
AFF Recipient History
THANK YOU TO OUR MANY DONORS
THANK YOU to our December 2107 contributors: Edward and Susan Castle
THANK YOU to our November 2017 contributors: David Ashworth and Sam and Sheila Theiss.
THANK YOU to our October 2017 contributors: Julia Fitzgerald and Steve and Janel Sewell.
THANK YOU to our September 2017 contributors: Ron Addis, Susie Andrews, Scott Auflick, Missy Baker, Jamie Blick, Nick Booth, Sam Booth, Amrik Brar, Randi Brooks, Becky Busch, Andrea Carr, Amy Carroll, Mark Chapman, Hannah Charbel, Andrea Chimo,Kirk Crow, Kevin Deal, Beth DiBenedetto, Laurel Doubrava, Frank Doudna, Tom Fauber, Amy Gould, Karrie Hanning, Bill and Lois Harkins, Kasey Harris, Katie Holdcroft, Ty Holdcroft, Karmi Holzaepfel, Beth Horton, Jenny Hughes, Charla Johnson, Just Give Organization, Jim Kearns, Kim Lovsey, Natalie Lucas, Amy Mansfield, Shelly Mansfield, Rich Maskiel, Lisa Matheny, Kelly McCarty, Kathleen McDougle, Megan McElligott, Dave McLaughlin, Andrew Monk, Malinda Mowry, Kerry Payton, Carla Pratt-Harrington, Taylor Rhyan, Julie Rice, Mark Rice, Wanda Richards, Matt Rosler, Abby Rouse, Erin Roush, Marilyn Scurlock, Chad Sheets, Connie Sheets, Darla Sheets, Stephanie Stamper, Angie Taggart, Rachel Terry, Francis Tullius, Lindsay Van Winkle, and Mary Ann Welsh.
THANK YOU to our August 2017 contributors: Martha Bratton, Julia Fitzgerald, Pam and Steve Knapp, Karen Pameth, Steve Sewell, and Thomas and Annabelle Weekly.
THANK YOU to our July 2017 contributors: Barbara Boggess, Bonnie Brothers, Hilda Gagnon, Elizabeth Gleason, Robert Green, Terry and Cindy Hawk, Melissa Burke Jarvis, John and Marianne Lesho, and Chad and Jessica Wingett.
THANK YOU to our June 2017 contributors: Gregg and Susie Andrews, Reggie and Terri Arnold, Athens Builders Industries Association, Athens Class of 1954, Sally Ball, Brien and Judy Burke, Mr. and Mrs. John Coen, Don and Beth Cooley, Sue Cooley, Laurie Deal, Nicholas and Lillian Dinos, Mary Frank, Gerig and Gerig Ltd., Deborah Gibbs, Dave and Trudy Hackett, Bill and Lois Harkins, David and Maxine Harner, Hoon Inc., Sharon Horel, Anne Paskievitch, Alice Pennington, Beverly Poole, Larry and Thelma Raines, Larry Sapp, Michael Schlosser, Simms, Secure Title Services, Gene and Robin Smith, Jill Thompson, Alton and Anna Tenney, Sue Wallace, Connie Watson, Dorothy Well, and Sue Wilkes.
THANK YOU to our May 2017 contributors: Albany VFW Post 9893, Bruce and Tammy Gillogly, and Sue Wilkes
THANK YOU to our April 2017 contributors: Sally Ball, Bill and Lois Harkins, David Miller, and Alice Pennington
THANK YOU to our March 2017 contributor: Chuck Busch
THANK YOU to our February 2017 contributor: David Miller
THANK YOU to our January 2017 contributors: Sally Ball and Thomas Nolan
2017-2018 PAYROLL DEDUCTIONS
Sixty-two Alexander employees donated $7427.00 through payroll deductions for the 2017-2018 school year. Your continued partnership is valued. Thank you!
The following accounts received donations SEPTEMBER 2017 THROUGH JULY 2018:
Alexander Band Boosters Alumni Association
Alexander FFA Alumni
IN MEMORY OF TODD WINGETT
Todd C. Wingett, age 51 of Athens died Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at his home. Born March 24, 1966 in Athens, he was the son of Rosalie Copeland Wingett of Albany and the late Charles G. Wingett.
A 1984 graduate of Alexander High School and a 1986 graduate of Hocking College with a degree in business, he started working in the family construction business as a teenager and was the owner and operator of Wingett Builders, Ltd. for over 20 years. During his professional career he constructed over 250 homes and built Connopher Lane, a sub-division in Albany. He enjoyed Harley Davidson motorcycles, entertaining his family, and was a strong supporter of the Alexander School System sport’s programs.
Todd is survived by his mother, Rosalie Wingett of Albany; two sons, Christopher Wingett of Albany and Conner Wingett of Athens; two brothers, Chad (Jessica) Wingett of Albany and Cory (Lisa) Wingett of Weirton, WV; nieces and nephews, Julia, Ella, Luke and Tyler Wingett; a special friend, Marla Sams of Albany; and his best friend, Jay Barnes of Albany.
He is preceded in death by his father, Charles G. Wingett in 2009. Funeral service will be conducted Friday 4:00 p.m. at Jagers & Sons Funeral Home, Athens with Rev. Walt Goble officiating. Burial will be in Alexander Cemetery, Hebbardsville. Friends may call Friday 1:00 p.m. until time of service at the funeral home. Memorial contributions may be made to Alexander’s Future Foundation, P.O. Box 204, Albany, OH 45710. Please share a memory, a note of condolence or sign the online register book at www.jagersfuneralhome.com.
IN MEMORY OF JIM MCHARG
James Howard McHarg, 80, Albany, went to be with the Lord on Wednesday, May 31st, 2017, after a twenty-plus year battle with cancer. He was born on June 20, 1936, in Athens, OH. He was a much beloved father, husband, Pop-pop, brother, and friend to many.
He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Uva McHarg, daughters; Kim McHarg Frazier (Taylor), Jill McHarg Miller (Joe), grandchildren; Riley Hartmann (Dillon), Garret Miller and Ian Frazier, cousin Marilyn McHarg Davidson (Kim), and many beloved nieces and nephews.
He is preceded in death by his parents, Howard and Mildred McHarg, sisters; Erma Gibbs, Jean Van Nest, uncle Walter and aunt Ruth McHarg, cousin Tom McHarg as well as uncle Gerald and aunt Opal McHarg, and niece Susan Ashworth Hamill.
To all who knew him, James McHarg’s life revolved around his family, his faith and service. He was a lifelong member and former deacon of the Alexander Presbyterian Church. His steadfast faith was the bedrock of his life and an example to anyone who knew him.
Jim served honorably in the US Army, 1955-1958, stationed in Kaeserne, Germany during the Cold War.
A dedicated member of the Lions Club for 46 years, he was a charter member of the Alexander Lions Club, founded 1971, serving as past president.
Jim was a founding charter member of the Alexander's Future Foundation, serving as Board Member and financial contributor. He strongly believed in helping Alexander youth pursue bright futures though higher education.
After retirement from AEP in 1999, Jim was moved to bring service opportunities to youth in Albany, serving as the founding advisor of the Alexander LEO Club in 2000 and remained in that position for 17 years until stepping down in April. He was extremely proud of all of his LEOs, their character, and their commitment to serve. He remained in touch with many LEOs long after their high school graduation.
Jim was Mason, member and past Master of the Albany Masonic Lodge #723. His life was lived dedicated to “make good men better”.
Visitation will be at Bigony-Jordan Funeral Home on Friday, June 9th 6 - 9 PM. Masonic Lodge and Lions Club memorial services will be conducted at the end of the visitation.
Funeral service will be at Alexander Presbyterian Church on Saturday, June 10th at noon with internment in Athens Memory Gardens.
A reception for family and friends will be at the Alexander Presbyterian Church following the graveside service. Light refreshments will be served.
In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made in Jim's memory to Alexander's Future Foundation, P.O. Box 204, Albany, Ohio 45710
SCHOLARSHIPS BY YEAR
- 1993--1 scholarship $500
- 1994--2 scholarships $1000
- 1995--3 scholarships $1500
- 1996--6 scholarships $3000
- 1997--8 scholarships $4000
- 1998--9 scholarships $4500
- 1999--14 scholarships $7000
- 2000--15 scholarships $7500
- 2001--14 scholarships $7000
- 2002--16 scholarships $9000
- 2003--16 scholarships $9000
- 2004--14 scholarships $9000
- 2005--21 scholarships $12,500
- 2006--19 scholarships $12,000
- 2007--26 scholarships $17,250
- 2008--27 scholarships $17,750
- 2009--29 scholarships $21,250
- 2010--32 scholarships $20,250
- 2011--39 scholarships $23,500
- 2012--35 scholarships $21,500
- 2013--37 scholarships $24,666
- 2014--42 scholarships $26,723.00
- 2015-2016--45 scholarships $28,500.00
- 2016-2017--42 scholarships $29,000.00
- 2017-2018--47 scholarships $30,500.00
Total: 559 scholarships $359,639.00
HOW TO DONATE
Contributions may be sent to Alexander's Future Foundation, Post Office Box 204, Albany, Ohio 45710. If donating in memory or in honor of an individual or group, please list the name on the memo line of the check. An acknowledgement letter will be sent to you upon receipt. Further, a letter to the family will be mailed announcing your gift; however, the amount will be omitted. Cash donations can be accepted in person at school. However, please do not leave until a prompt receipt is given.
A BRIEF HISTORY
Alexander’s Future Foundation was established in 1992 by interested community members and school personnel to provide financial support for graduates pursuing post-secondary training. The scholarships are sent directly to the institution for tuition or fees.
Thanks to the generous contributions from community members and Alexander staff, Alexander’s Future Foundation’s principal balance continues to grow, allowing the foundation to use the interest to steadily increase the number of awarded scholarships.
Scholarships based on financial need, academic achievement, intended majors, and/or service to the community will be awarded to Alexander High School students in May of each year. These begin at $500.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES AND OFFICERS
Wecome to new Board Member CRYSTAL JONES!
Susie Andrews, Corresponding Secretary for Alexander Employees
Jay Barnes, Vice-President
Brien Burke, President
Steve Dillinger, Treasurer
Lois Harkins, Web Page Designer
Christy Carsey Lee, Corresponding Secretary for Community
Sue Wilkes, Recording Secretary
Jim McHarg, in loving memory
Alexander's Future Foundation meets the 2nd Monday of October, January, February, March, April, May, and June in the Media Center (Library) at the Alexander Local School District complex beginning at 6:00 P.M.
Please note the October meeting date has been changed to the 16th.
Updated October 16, 2014
- Kim McHarg Frazier, 1980 Alexander graduate, logo concept
- Megan Bowen Six, 2001 AFF Scholarship Recipient, stationery design
- Joyce Bobo and Connie Knowlton, Alexander graduates,--AFF biography brochure
- Connie Knowlton, Alexander graduate,--AFF original booklet design
- Lisa Matheny, Alexander graduate,--AFF booklet formatting
- Susie Andrews and Lois Harkins, Alexander employeess,--AFF booklet formatting
- Jeremy Sheets and Lois Harkins, Alexander employees,--Web page design
DID YOU KNOW?
Jim McHarg wrote the bylaws for Alexander's Future Foundation?
Mabel Burton obtained tax-exempt status for us?
Dave Garrod served as the first president of AFF?
Peggy and Dave Garrod made the first donation to AFF--a $40 check in memory of Art Cross?
The Alexander Lions Club donated $500 seed money?
Rick and Penney Rolston pledged a $1000 donation to get us started?
Sam and Sheila Theiss donated $10,000 to begin the very first scholarship account--the Joe Theiss Memorial Scholarship?
AFF is an all-volunteer organization?
Our stationery is donated by a community member?
AFF's fees consists of postage, post office box, and filing fees?
Our scholarships are based on interest of invested funds?
Connie Knowlton and Jim McHarg helped organize a Pumpkin Patch for two years for publicity and any funds we might have received?
Jean McCamish organized two Chinese auctions for publicity and funds?
Edna Stalder has served as our treasurer for 20 years?
Wendy Johnson received the first AFF scholarship?
Once a total of $5000 has been earned in an account, a scholarship will be awarded every other year?
Once a total of $10,000 has been earned in an account, a scholarship will be awarded every year?
Families may write the criteria for their scholarship?
Interested in Creating a Scholarship? Here's How!
It is rather simple to begin a scholarship. The first step is to donate funds in honor or memory of someone. This starts a record-keeping process that has several checks and balances by the Board of Trustees. Simply put, the money goes into the general fund; however, very careful records denote the exact total in the account. Once the fund reaches $5000 by a June 1st deadline, then a scholarship is awarded the following May to an applicant that meets the criteria the family has established. A $5000 total awards a scholarship every other year; whereas, a $10,000 total awards a scholarship every year.
Families write the scholarship criteria which can be altered in the future. We simply ask that advanced notice be given so we can change the bios on the web page and in the booklet. The Board of Trustees selects the students from the applicant pool, but consideration is given to an applicant who meets all the application terms.
An important feature is that the scholarship amounts are derived from INTEREST only and the principal is not touched. Scholarship amounts vary according to the amount of money in the specific accounts. As an example, our first scholarship for Joe Theiss has more funds than one that was started later. Therefore, Joe's scholarship amount might be $750; whereas, the later one might be $500. As interest has not been too good in recent years, we have still been able to begin scholarship amounts at $500. We always caution folks that the amount might be a tad lower if interest continues to remain low. Alexander’s Future Foundation is a tax-exempt organization so donations may be listed as contributions on income taxes.
Donations may be mailed to Alexander’s Future Foundation, Post Office Box 204, Albany, Ohio 45710. Questions may be directed to any member of the Board of Trustees.
This page was last updated January 5, 2018.
CONTACT: Lois Harkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 740-592-4184.